Thursday, September 23, 2010

In Search of Capitain Zero, A book by Allan Weisbecker.

                                                  
                                                           Bandito Books 


Just finished Allan Weisbecker’s book, In Search of Capitain Zero. What a book! I hated it, I loved it, I was bored, I was thrilled, I was annoyed, I was inspired and all in all it was an outstanding piece of Non Fiction. I won't ruin the details of the book, basically it's an intense travelouge. Many reviewers paint an image of a lonely self pitying Weisbecker on the verge of a breakdown. I totally disagree.
  Sure, he is a loner of sorts, and has his share of the travelers melancholy.  Underneath the ups and downs though there is a Man on a hell bent mission to find a way to rid himself of the trappings of mass society.  Allan is a salty surfer, smart in reading people and situations that would make the average person shit themselves. He gets into some gnarly stuff in this book.  Everything about this book and Allan himself scream of extreme existence. He is a breed of human that is truly, almost religiously, committed to living in a surfers paradise(What ever that means.)
   My one word of caution is for those who don't surf. This is a story told through the perspective of a surfer. Intense descriptions of wave riding, while well translated into non surf language, may bore the non surfer. As a surfer, I found my heart racing and small amounts of adrenaline as I read about Salsa Brava experiences. The man has an ability to keep his fear in check! Anyway, read this book. It will make your life seem stupid.

This one of the best books.

No comments: