Friday, September 17, 2010

Dance Walker

Today I was walking into work with a fellow named Stein. Stein is a friend I met after almost being destroyed by the thoughtful driving endeavors of a grumpy cab driver. That was about 2 years ago.  Today we were at the same location: A stoner's throw from the McDonalds at 3rd and King in San Francisco. We talked about ego and arrogance in the cycle community. We agreed that there is a lot of it. We agreed some more and kept the pace. 


 As we approached the first intersection of our walk, a young fellow swaggered towards us. I first caught a glimpse of him while I was listening to Stein talk about the new train tunnel. Instinct let me know something strange was about to happen.


He was wearing a gray shirt with a hipster print, sunglasses for the fog, and an "All Access" badge secured to a red lanyard.  Getting closer, I had to pay more attention because he was waving to invisible people. At the point he was next to me, he tweaked into a dance walk, wiggled his fingers 2 inches from my face, and then waved them over my head. All of this was in perfect cadence with his walk. He didn't stop. He just kept the dance walk going. 
 
I turned to Stein, who was laughing : "That same guy did that to me yesterday I think."

No comments: